This spicy kani salad with mango is a sushi lovers dream. It’s studded with crunchy, fresh jalapeños for a fiery bite, balanced by sweet, juicy mangos in a creamy soy dressing. Garnished with black sesame seeds or an additional nutty crunch, you’ll love this easy salad recipe.
What I love about this kani salad recipe
- I can’t get enough of the sweet mango paired with the spicy crunch of the jalapeño.
- This salad incorporates those delicious flavors in a dressing that does not overwhelm them by drowning them in spicy mayo.
- This recipe makes only a small batch, which is great for a lunch or snack but can easily be doubled if you want to serve it at a party or a gathering.
Here’s what you will need to make this recipe
How to make mango kani salad
Prep your ingredients. Dice jalapeño, chop mango, and shred crab meat. Place prepped ingredients in a medium mixing bowl and set aside.
Make the dressing. In a smaller mixing bowl combine dressing ingredients and whisk until smooth. If you are a big fan of sriracha, you can go ahead and add another ½ – 1 tablespoon extra.
Dress the salad. Pour dressing over crab mixture, stirring until well combine. Garnish with sesame seeds and serve chilled.
FAQs and tips on making spicy kani salad with mango
Kani is imitation crab, made with real fish. It is processed and compressed to allow it to be made into ‘crab’ form. It is typically made from pollock or other white fish.
Imitation crab is always cooked so you could eat it right out of the package. Even though it usually is frozen or cold, it is not raw and you will not have to cook it before eating it.
Kani is low in fat and calories, however it does have a significant amount of sodium so if you are watching that in your diet remember moderation.
More easy salad recipes you will love
- Carrot and cucumber salad
- German potato salad
- Sweet and spicy cucumber salad
- Dill pickle pasta salad
Mango Kani Salad
With a sweet and crunchy spin, this simple kani salad with mango is a delightful take on a traditional kani salad. The slightly spicy and somewhat sweet dressing is full of umami flavor but light enough to let the salad shine through. Garnished with black sesame seeds for a beautiful presentation and an extra nutty, crunch.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Salads
- Method: Mixing
For the salad:
- 1 mango, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1 package of imitation crab meat, shredded
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup mayo
- 1 tbsp sriracha
- ½ tbsp sesame oil
- ¼ tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients until smooth.
- Combine kani, mango, and jalapeño in a mixing bowl.
- Pour ½ of the dressing over salad ingredients, mix well to combine.
- Garnish with black sesame seeds.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 608
- Sugar: 31.7 g
- Sodium: 932.1 mg
- Fat: 50.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 7.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 37 g
- Fiber: 3.4 g
- Protein: 3.9 g
- Cholesterol: 23.1 mg
Keywords: mango kani salad, kani salad with mango, spicy kani salad, easy kani salad, imitation crab salad, kani salad, spicy kani, spicy kani salad, kani salad recipe, kani salad ingredients