This pie is a rich, yet light, peanut butter treat surrounded by a flaky crust and sweet crunchy topping. Using a store bought crust, this old fashioned dessert is so easy to whip up you will be doing it all the time!
Here’s what you’ll need to make it
How to make the peanut butter cream pie
Let’s start with the crust. I prefer to buy a store made crust to bake quick for something like this. Bake it according to the package instructions and allow to cool. Set this aside while making your filling.
Whip together the softened cream cheese (room temperature works best) and the peanut butter in an electric mixer. Do this for about 1-2 minutes then add the whipped topping, heavy cream, vanilla extract and continue to beat until well combined.
Now you want to mix the powdered sugar, cinnamon, salt and cream of tartar in a separate bowl. Whisk them together until the are well combined. Add these to the mixer at this point, about ½ cup at a time. Continue until everything is one fluffy mixture. Scoop the filling into the cooled pie crust. Leaving enough room for the crunch topping.
Take about 4-5 peanut butter cookies and ¼ cup of honey roasted peanuts and put them into a plastic baggie. Smash into a nice crumble using a rolling pin or a kitchen mallet. Sprinkle the topping all over the pie, less or more to your liking.
I saved the remaining topping for serving so people could add more crunch if the wanted to. Some opted for whipped topping with extra crunch, some loved it just the way it was. Either way it turns out to be a stand out dessert option!
Tips and FAQs about peanut butter cream pie
This pie should last about 3-4 days if stored in the fridge. You will also want to make sure to serve it directly from the fridge.
Cream of tartar is a stabilizer, which means it will help your pie keep its fluffiness. It works wonders in homemade whipped topping and things like this. Keep some on hand, it’s great to have around.
More delicious peanut butter recipes you should try
- No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Bites
- Thai Peanut Noodles
- Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge
- Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
Old Fashioned Peanut Butter Pie
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- For the filling:
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup cream cheese
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup whipped topping
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- ¼ tsp salt
- For the topping:
- 4–5 peanut butter cookies
- ¼ cup honey roasted peanuts
- For the crust:
- 1 store bought crust
- Cook pie crust according to directions on package. Remove from oven and allow to cool fully.
- Beat cream cheese and peanut butter until combined well.
- Add whipped topping, heavy cream, and vanilla extract, continue to beat slowly until combined.
- In a small separate bowl whisk together powdered sugar, cinnamon, salt and cream of tartar.
- Add dry ingredients slowly to peanut butter mixture.
- Combine cookies and peanuts in a plastic baggie and smash to make crunch topping.
- Scoop into pie crust, garnish, and chill in the refrigerator 4 hours before serving.
- Serve immediately while cold.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 538
- Sugar: 38.2 g
- Sodium: 346.6 mg
- Fat: 35.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 13.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 48.3 g
- Fiber: 2.6 g
- Protein: 11.2 g
- Cholesterol: 38.1 mg
Keywords: old fashioned peanut butter pie, old fashioned peanut butter pie no bake, old fashion peanut butter pie, peanut butter cream pie, no bake peanut butter pie, no bake dessert, peanut butter icebox pie